Africa

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Is This Real Life??

I am seriously living in a dream right now. I made it to Africa after almost 48 hours of traveling, and much to my surprise so did my luggage.

On the way to Mbale we drove 6 hours on a bus through the African country side. Just to give you a picture of us. 12 Americans and all our luggage smashed in a tiny car driving through Uganda where there are no traffic laws.

As we drove through the villages the kids would all point and yell Muzungu!! Which means white person and would giggle. Some even started chasing our car. To say the least I had a permagrin the entire drive.

The highlight of my week was playing soccer with a Ugandan boys soccer team. The boys ranged from age five to sixteen and to say they were amazing would be a huge understatement. The boys kept laughing at me and would say, "muzungu, whenever you get the ball just pass it to me ok?" Just picture it one white girl who has never played soccer before and isn't naturally coordinated with 30 Ugandan boys who basically walked out of the womb playing soccer. I'm sure it was quite the show.

We also went to a school and I tried to teach a boy how to play tag.... FAIL. He chased me forever before I realized he didn't know he was supposed to touch me. So I turned around and explained it to him and said, "Ok now your turn to chase me". BAD IDEA. He was a blur... so fast. All the kids just burst out laughing at me trying to run away from a ten year old. Definitely not one of my finest moments.

Everything hasn't been easy though. We went and had an orientation at a hospital yesterday and I saw things I thought only happened in movies. I wish I had more qualifications and could help out more because they are so understaffed and lack supplies. I was at an orphanage today and a boy fell and had a huge cut on his foot. I started to dress it with the little supplies I have in my first aid kit and immediately I had at least 20 people lined up to show me their ulcer, cut or bed sore. It was very hard, especially when I ran out of supplies. I wish there was more I could do but I know that any little thing helps make a difference. I love Uganda and can't believe I am here.

4 comments:

  1. Abby, you are my hero. Africa? What the! --Nat Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Abby!!! What a great experience. Thanks for posting your adventures. I will love reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby..you are a rock star! I am so envious of your amazing experience. Keep posting...you write so well I feel like I am watching over your shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby I just discovered this blog and I am so jealous!! It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete